Workington Men Sentenced To Over 40 Years For Violent ‘Targeted’ Attack Leaving ‘Life-Changing Injuries’

Two Workington men have been sentenced to over 40 years in prison for a violent and ‘targeted’ attack that left both victims with ‘life-changing injuries’.

It was reported today, Tuesday, March 28, by Cumbria Police, Jamie Elston, 32, of Iredale Crescent in Workington and David Ratcliffe, 33, of Falcon Place in Workington were both sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court after entering guilty pleas at an earlier hearing.

The two men were sentenced to a collective 42 years in prison after admitting grievous bodily harm with intent following a vicious, targeted attack on New Year’s Day 2022.

(Left) Jamie Elston and (Right) David Ratcliffe) each sentenced to 21 years for violent attack. Credit: Cumbria Police

Elston was jailed for 21 years and seven months and Ratcliffe received a 21-year prison sentence. Both men are also subject to extended five-year licence periods.

*WARNING – Contains descriptions of violence*

The court heard how the victims had been asleep in the early hours of New Year’s Day last year when they woke to find Elston and Ratcliffe in the house.

Ratcliffe was armed with a hammer and Elston threatened both victims, saying “we might as well kill them now”.

Ratcliffe began punching and kicking one of the victims to the head and face. Elston then set about both victims, kicking and punching them in the head.

Following the attack, both victims were warned not to go to the police.

One of the victims was taken by air ambulance to Royal Victoria Hospital having suffered a traumatic brain injury which left them in an induced coma.

The other suffered numerous facial injuries including permanent loss of vision in one eye and a fractured nose.

In his police interview, Elston denied involvement in the attack and Ratcliffe gave no comment answers to all questions in his first interview.

In his second interview, Ratcliffe admitted punching one of the victims but denied assaulting the more seriously injured victim.

Ratcliffe said his memory of the evening was not clear as he had been drinking but stated that neither he nor Elston had a hammer.

Detective Chief Inspector Hayley Wilkinson said: “This was a violent and sustained attack which has resulted in extremely serious, life-changing injuries to both victims. One with permanent vision loss to one of their eyes and the other remains in a rehabilitation centre for his injuries.

“The actions of Ratcliffe and Elston could easily have resulted in loss of life that evening. However, the consequences of the assault continue to be felt to this day.

“The sentence of the court reflects the seriousness of the attack carried out by both men.”