Cumbria County Council has released the draft proposals for Kendal library redesign and are wanting your opinions on the proposals.
They are looking to make the library even better with more on offer to the community.
As well as books, Local Studies and everything expected, the Council is also thinking about how new digital technology could be integrated and how the building could be used more flexibly.
With other uses such as to host events, exhibitions or provide a space for community groups or just to meet socially with family and friends.
A draft design for the proposed changes has been developed and they want to hear your views.
The proposals involve a complete ‘make over’ of the interior of the building, changing how the space is used and giving it a fresh and modern look while maintaining the unique features of the building.
The images are artist impressions to give you an idea of how the space could look.
The proposal includes –
- Children’s Library and Teen Zone – The proposed new children’s library has lots of design features to make it a great place for kids and families to relax, learn and have fun, and there is also a separate space just for teenagers.
- New Customer Service Points – To provide more customer points throughout the library where you can speak to staff. There is also a dedicated customer services area for more private conversations.
- Café culture – A new café area that will have an improved vending offer and comfy seating.
- IT and digital facilities – A completely refurbished public access IT suite with new equipment and access to printing and photocopying. They would also like to offer new digital tools and equipment and would love to hear your ideas.
- An improved Local Studies area – An overhaul to the Local Studies area with new equipment, improved exhibition area and research room.
- Learning – Libraries are all about learning and we’re working hand in hand with the council’s Adult Learning service who will continue to deliver courses from the refurbished Pennington Room.
Cumbria County Council wants the feedback on the proposed design and want to know whether the changes would work for residents, their family and friends. You can provide your views by:
- Completing the online questionnaire or
- Printing and completing the questionnaire at the end of the consultation document (see related links), and posting it in the ‘public consultation post-box’ within Kendal Library or to Freepost CUMBRIA COUNTY COUNCIL
Please provide your feedback by June 27, 2021.
Some essential maintenance works are nearing completion.
The next phase of the work, which incorporates the redesign of the building, is due to commence in early 2022 and will be completed in Summer 2022.
Once the public consultation has closed we will use your feedback to reconsider our proposed design, with a view to publishing the final agreed design in July 2021.