Cumbria Cricket League Round Up

By Robert Haile

The third round of league fixtures took place on Saturday, May 15.

While the weather was still causing matches to be abandoned most of the league matches took place.

Premier Division

Cockermouth 1st 117/1 – Whitehaven 1st 111 All Out

Cockermouth won the toss and elected to field restricting the visitors to one hundred and eleven with Mansoor Amjad making fifty six. It took seventeen overs as Gareth White and Matthew Sempill brought the hosts home scoring forty five runs each.

Millom 1st 103/9 – Carlisle 1st 104/1

The home team lost the toss and were put into bat. Millom reached one hundred and three for the loss of nine wickets from their forty three overs. Ben Davidson led the way making fifty four as Carlisle reached one hundred and four in thirty one overs.

Wigton 1st 94 All Out – Cleator 1st 95/6

In a low scoring match Cleator won the toss and fielded first bowling the hosts out for ninety four with Nico Watt scoring forty seven. In reply the visitors reached ninety five in forty overs.

Workington 1st 181/8 – Keswick 1st 142/4

Winning the toss Ernest Valentine Cricket Ground the home team elected to bat. Workington reached one hundred and eighty one for eight from their fifty overs with Kristian Moffat making seventy three. With a reduction in overs and target Keswick Geeth Kumara made fifty nine and Glen Weightman made fifty seven as Keswick reach one hundred and forty two to win.

Not all matches survived the weather as Furness 1st welcoming of Haverigg 1st and Lindal Moor 1st game against Dalton 1st were abandoned.

First Division

Egremont 1st 133/2 – Kirkby in Furness 1st 131/9

Batting first at Gillfoot Park after losing the toss Kirkby reached one hundred and thirty one for the loss of nine wickets. Egremont took twenty six over with Alex Hodgson making seventy three to reach one hundred thirty three.

Seascale 1st 90/1 – Workington 2nd 86 All Out

Workington won the toss and batted first. They found the going difficult with Ben Scott and Daniel Rice the only batsman making it into double figures as they were bowled out for eighty six. Seascale batsman Adam Brown saw the home team over the line making fifty four as they won by nine wickets.

Whitehaven 2nd 87/7 – Lindal Moor 2nd 86 All Out

It was all fun at The Playground as the home team won the toss and put Lindal Moor into bat. The visitors made eighty six as they were bowled out in the thirty fourth over. Lindal almost defended their total as they reduced Whitehaven to twenty six for six before Robbie Harrison-Skelton made thirty two and Steve Rumney reached twenty three as they home side won.

The two other matches in the division started as Hawcoat Park 1st made ninety seven against Cockermouth 2nd and Ulverston 1st reached one hundred and two against Furness 2nd before they were abandoned.

Second Division

Cleator 2nd 66/7 – Millom 2nd 69/2

The Cleator side featuring three generations was overpowered as Millom won the toss and put the host into bat. Cleator reached sixty six from their forty overs. Dec Tyson for Millom did the damage in response scoring forty six as the visitors won by eight wickets.

Dalton 2nd 83 All Out – Egremont 2nd 163/3

The visitors made the most of being put into bat as Billy Thompson made sixty six not out as they set Dalton one hundred and sixty three. In a reduced innings Dalton were set a revised target of one hundred and thirty six though Egremont wrapped up the win bowling the hosts out for eighty three.

Haverigg 2nd 77/7 – Barrow 2nd 131/8

Winning the toss Haverigg put the visiting side into bat. Barrow made one hundred and thirty one from their forty over with Matthew Holmes making forty one. Haverigg were set a revised target of ninety five from twenty four overs, coming close they made seventy seven losing by seventeen runs.

Ulverston 2nd visit to Vickerstown 1st started with the visitors reaching forty five before the match was abandoned.