Copeland Borough Council is set to launch a new discretionary grants fund to support businesses affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The scheme is designed to help small businesses who have not been able to access other sources of Government funding, including the Small Business Grant Fund or the Retail, Leisure and Hospitality Grant Fund.
Copeland Council, in line with other district councils in Cumbria, will launch the Small Business Discretionary Grant Fund on June 1, 2020.
Businesses in Copeland can apply for a grant between £2,000 and £10,000. Grants will be awarded based on circumstances including fixed property costs, number of employees and loss of income.
The priorities for the scheme include, but are not limited to:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces that do not have their own business rates assessment
- Regular market traders with fixed costs such as rent who do not have their own business rates assessment
- B&Bs which pay Council Tax
- Charity properties in receipt of Charitable Rate Relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief
However, any small businesses, in any sector, that have been significantly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, and are not eligible for other Government hardship schemes, can apply.
Examples of other Government hardship schemes include, but are not limited to:
- Small Business Grant Fund
- Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund
- The Fisheries Response Fund
- Domestic Seafood Supply Scheme
- The Zoo Support Fund
- The Fairy Hardship Fund
Only businesses which were trading on March 11, 20 will be eligible and companies that are in administration, are insolvent or where a striking off notice has been made will not be eligible.
Applications for the fund will open on June 1.
Businesses can apply, from June 1, by visiting Copeland Council’s website at www.copeland.gov.uk/coronavirus-resources-business, downloading and completing the application form.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).